Poisons, toxins and autoimmune diseases
An autoimmune condition evolves when the immune system for some reason cannot distinguish between self and other.
Conventional (orthodox) way to treat all autoimmune disorders has been suppressing the (deregulated) immune system, and afterwards treating the damage to the involved organ whenever possible.
Holistic medicine uses a different – much better approach.
The root of it always remain the same:
- Remove the triggers that are deregulating (poisoning) the immune system so it starts damaging organs and/or tissues, causing the body to become "allergic" to itself
- Relieve the inflammation caused by tissues damage and hyperactive immune system
- Restore nutritional deficiencies that may be preventing the enervated immune system from knowing how to turn off hyperactivity once it is harmonized
Immune system is greatly complicated. Scientists are using hundreds of special (sophisticated) terms to describe it.
But we (ones attacked by autoimmune diseases) are interested, how such disorders, including Multiple Sclerosis, occur. Probably one of the best and very understandable ways of action of healthy as well as unhealthy (deregulated) immune system has been described in a book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Autoimmune Disorders: The Revolutionary Drug-free Treatments for Thyroid Disease, Lupus, MS, IBD, Chronic Fatigue, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Other Diseases". This book is real eye-opener.
Stephen Edelson, M.D., author of the book, has practiced medicine for more than 20 years. As an autoimmune specialist and Founder of the Edelson Center for Environmental and Preventative Medicine in Atlanta, he has successfully treated thousands of patients using innovative and effective alternative therapies.
Excerpts from the book:
- Unfortunately, there are millions and millions of individuals whose immune systems do not respond normally to an attack. Instead of attacking foreign invaders with antibodies-substances produced by the immune system to fight invaders-the immune system components attack the body's own healthy cells-perhaps bones, joints, blood, brain, nerves, or other body parts-as if they were the enemy. When the immune system reacts in this way, it is producing autoantibodies-substances that attack healthy cells instead of foreign invaders. This situation is known as an autoimmune response
- More than eighty separate medical conditions have been recognized as being the result of an autoimmune response. Some of them are quite common; others are rare. In this book we concern ourselves with the more common conditions, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, type 1 diabetes, autism, chronic fatigue syndromes, autoimmune hepatitis…
- While conventional medicine simply treats the symptoms, we heal the body by going directly to the origins of the disease-the autoimmune response at the cellular level. To get a better understanding of how we do that, it's first important to understand why autoimmune conditions develop in the first place.The reason, I believe, is simple: direct damage and free-radical damage to cells from environmental toxins (heavy metals and chemicals).
So, immune system starts offending a host body after it is detuned by environmental toxins!
Nothing in this world happens without a reason !
More good details as well as controversial (although truthful) ideas can be found in an article Autoimmune Disorders.
- Another wise and easy description of the problem has been provided in an article "Autoimmune Disease: Are Conventional Treatments Working?"